Friday 6 February 2015

Growth

Searching through my old notes on my spiritual journey I re-discovered Frank Herbert's Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear from his book , Dune. In order to learn you have to fail, most people fear failure and that fear grows with age in my experience. It ties into my youthful philosophy around improving my skills as a sailor, windsurfer and cyclist - if you don't crash you're not trying hard enough. Now I'm older my body physically can't handle the crashes as well but that's no reason to stop pushing your limits, it's just about knowing where they are...

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

No comments:

Post a Comment